The qualitative features and characteristics of being a trusted conversation partner are not considered as integral part of our professional working and living habits. This also seems to be the case in our professional careers, where we tend to put emotions aside and become results-oriented. To become ‘better dialoguers’, however, requires a different way of being and exchanging. The handbook ‘fruitful intentions for an open and quality (research) exchange’ addresses this attitude and state of mind. It offers an action perspective to explore including practical tips and checks and balances.
Deep listening is miraculous to both listener and speaker. When someone receive us with open-hearted, non-judging, intensely interested listening our spirits expand.
(Sue Patton Thuele)
Being a trusted and authentic conversation partner
The handbook refers to some guidelines to become a trusted conversation partner who creates a safe space for people to share and exchange openly, and who is aware how to bring oneself into the conversation. The book provides an action perspective to explore and deep dive; as to
- adding qualitative characteristics to (research) conversations and dialogue,
- engaging in reflective checks and balances for fruitful intentions.
- In doing so, it also provides the possibility to bring more awareness into action by combining doing and being into more deliberate and qualitative interactions.
Fruitful intentions for an open and quality (research) exchange
Central to the handbook are:
- five dimensions and their focus areas and pathways for exploration and practice at a personal and interpersonal level.
- some guiding checks and balances for fruitful intentions in research conversations and group dialogue in practice. This elaboration is based on concrete project questions and practices within Wageningen University & Research.
- reflective tips, examples and familiar situations. Including a special chapter with concrete and practical exercises and tips.
The document presents a long-term perspective for making different qualitative characteristics your own so that, combined with practice and learning, you can spiral towards greater impact over time. The overview below shows the areas of attention and their action perspectives that you will find in the handbook. The book does not serve one particular target group, but is a source document from which information can be harvested for specific purposes and users.
Link to the interactive handbook, version 1.0.
Please note that the attached is a not yet edited version. We welcome user feedback for inclusion in the next version, please email us. For copyright information, see the colophon.